Interpersonal Mediation Essentials
Learn the principles of mediation for interpersonal disputes, see mediation in action, and participate in this highly interactive one-day online course.
This practical course gives the perfect introduction to the principles and practice of using face-to-face mediation to resolve disputes between people.
The course centres on a heated interpersonal dispute between two people and takes you through the skills and techniques of mediation: showing you how a real mediator would apply a stage-by-stage mediation process to resolving people’s disagreements.
The course includes:
- Interpersonal mediation: what it is and isn’t
- Some underlying principles of mediation
- Defining the role of the mediator
- How conflict develops and how a mediator might get involved
- Confidentiality and impartiality: how they work in mediation
Learn the basics of interpersonal mediation
Understand how conflict develops
Define mediation and the role of the mediator
Why train online with UK Mediation?
For many years now, we’ve provided online courses to both individuals and organisations. We’ve honed our processes over that time, ensuring that we remain the leading providers of online mediation training.
ISO-9001 is the internationally-recognised standard for quality management. This means that, whatever service we’re providing, you can be sure it will be carried out in an efficient and quality-focused manner.
All of our trainers are practising mediators with many years of experience. They are also certified adult educators, meaning you’re in capable hands during your training!
We don’t wash our hands of you after your training. Not only do we have a dedicated support line, we also give you access to our exclusive Skills Support Area, a hub of information and resources for qualified mediators.
This one-day online course gives you a lively introduction to the world of mediation for interpersonal disputes, including:
- How conflict develops and at what stage you should consider using mediation
- What sorts of situations should be mediated
- How mediation differs from other approaches to resolving conflict
- What happens at each stage of the mediation process
- Key mediator skills at each stage and how a typical case proceeds in practice
- What it is like to be in the mediator's shoes: mediating part of a case example
Aims and Objectives
The aim of this one-day online course is to show you how mediation works in practice, and how it can be successfully applied to an interpersonal dispute.
At the conclusion of the day, you should be able to:
- Compare and contrast using mediation skills with other forms of dispute resolution
- Understand the essential skills and qualities of an effective mediator
- Know the steps and stages of the mediation model
- Know when and how mediation would be the best remedy for a dispute
- Appreciate how it feels to be in the mediator role
All of our online courses are live, interactive events, run by a practising mediator who is an expert in the field.
This course includes a combination of:
- Custom-made video clips of a range of simulated disputes (including workplace, neighbourhood, tenancy, and medical disputes)
- Lecture and live input by the trainer, as well as discussion among delegates
- Group exercises
- Small-group activities
- Practice sessions with simulated case material
- Real-life case studies
The learning group is created as a Zoom meeting, in which we can use custom-made video material, carry out discussions, run small group exercises, and have some practice sessions.
At UK Mediation, we have looked long and hard at what we can deliver online and what needs to be taught face-to-face. While some of our accredited mediator programmes have to be delivered in person, we believe this course can achieve its aims and objectives with a carefully delivered online approach. Plus, we know what we’re doing – we lead the way in virtual training delivery! We are an externally-accredited training provider and the only holders of the ISO 9001 quality standard in the mediation world. Our trainers have devised this course and refined it over the years to be a lively, interactive event, and feedback from previous learners include comments on it being ‘engaging’, ‘highly relevant’, and ‘a great confidence booster’.
No, we are careful to distinguish this course from our accredited mediator programmes. What we say is that Interpersonal Mediation Essentials shows you how mediation works and gives you an idea of what the mediator role feels like, but you won’t be a Mediator at the end of it. To gain Mediator accreditation, you need to attend one of our Interpersonal Mediation Practitioner’s Certificate courses, either at a 5-day live event (subject to COVID-19 restrictions) or in our blended 2 X 3-day modular programme..
The standard price for the course is £345 + VAT.
You can either pay the full amount now, or pay a 25% deposit to secure your place. We would then ask you to settle the balance six weeks before the course.
We are pleased to offer a 10% discount for any one of the following reasons:
Your course fee includes all of the following:
“The trainer was very knowledgeable and personable, and being able to conduct such a great course via Zoom deserves credit in itself! I have seen a different view of mediation and particularly enjoyed watching this in evidence on the videos.”Rob Hill, Young Person's Pathway Workerread more testimonials
Wychavon and Malvern Hills District Councils